hist-brewing: cloudy meads (and haze in general)

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 19:33:52 PST 2000

This was a very nice piece, and I'm delighted to have it.  Thanks, George.
8-)
I do however have to disagree with one part, quoted below.

In a message dated 02/07/2000 10:10:04 AM EST, gdepiro at mindspring.com writes:
> Starch haze:  you're screwed.  Don't put starchy stuff into a non-diastatic
> environment in the future.  I suppose you could buy some amylase and add
> that to the beverage.  This will turn the starch into sugar.  Be aware that
> this will provide new fermentable extract for the yeast (and other bugs)
> that are present.  Don't bottle until the bugs have had a chance to eat this
> new food, lest you create a case or two of rather randomly programmed time
> bombs.

    The amount of starch, and therefore the amount of fermentable sugars in
any haze has got to be minuscule.  If you fermented all of it in an otherwise
out-gassed mead, I'll bet you couldn't even blow a wine cork, and beer or
champagne bottles
and crown caps are a lot stronger than that.
    Scotti