hist-brewing: cloudy mead

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Mon Feb 7 10:55:41 PST 2000

Tevildo writes:
>I boil and skim the must, and continue to skim as the froth rises. Doing
>this, I have always had my mead clear by the secondary fermentation. Have
>you people been boiling your honey, or do you use it raw?

I boil my water, turn off the heat and add the honey.  Boiling does indeed
make for clearer mead, but at the expense of honey aromatics.  Unboiled
mead will be cloudier, but will be more aromatic.  I did not boil the
must in my mead that won 1st place for Traditional Mead in the AHA National
Competition, so apparently *some* judges feel aroma is more important than
clarity.

Al.

Al Korzonas, Lockport, Illinois, USA
korz at brewinfo.org