hist-brewing: RE: Stuff in honey /Heat and fruit

Barclay, Peter C. MAJ barclayp at eucom.mil
Mon Feb 7 08:34:37 PST 2000

Kirsty,

	From a class I taught a while ago on "Honey and its effects on mead"

Principal components of honey:

Water  17.20 %
Levulose (fructose)  38.19 %
Dextrose (glucose)  31.28 %
Sucrose  1.31 %
Maltose  7.31 %
Higher sugars  1.50 %
Acids  .57 %
Proteins  .26 %
Minor substances 2.38 %

I have found no evidence of pectin in honey.  Pectin is a carbohydrate.
Pectin consists mainly of galacturonic acid and galacturonic acid methyl
ester units forming linear polysaccharide chains.

I very rarely make "true mead" but rather make metheglins and melomels.  If
making a true mead, I don't boil my honey, but otherwise I always do because
I am less concerned with any "higher aromatics and flavours".  If I was
worried about those, I wouldn't be adding fruits or spices.

Many, many fruits will have pectins problems if you boil them.  The only
exception to this I have found (so far...) is bananas.  Several years ago I
made a banana wine, cutting up the whole bananas and throwing them in the
boiling water, skins and all.  The hot extraction process is crucial for
banana.  When I entered the wine in one inter-kingdom A&S contest, several
judges refused to even try it because "of the ketones in banana skins".
They obviously had no real clue about the issue.  That is one of the
significant reasons you have to use a hot extraction process.  All the
ketones are neutralized/driven off by boiling, and the wine, although it
took a while (every time I added more sugar it would ferment more like
crazy...), it was AWESOME!!

If you really want the long, sordid story, ask me.

respectfully,

                     Terafan

Master Terafan Greydragon           barclayp at eucom.mil
Brewer and probably other things I can't think of...
Seneschal, Incipient Shire of Blauwasser