hist-brewing: Need some ideas

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Fri Feb 4 01:36:50 PST 2000

Cooking any fruit or veg will bring out what pectin there is (lists of
pectin content in fruit are freely available in most brewing manuals).
Apricots and parsnips are the worst cuplrits. I would advise not cooking
anything. Crush your pears as per apples in a press, you can buy one or you
can make one, Many books again have plans - if my scanner worked I'd send
you the one that is in 'Progressive Winemaking' - not hard by the looks of
it. Then you start with pretty clear juice. You may want to up the tannin by
adding tea or grape tannin as there will be less than with a pulp
fermentation and tannin aids clearing.

I have paranoidly avoided any hint of heat on my 4 gals of apricot that I
started last summer, I pulp fermented it cold and then racked it off, left
it for some months than racked it into glass demijohns and it is pretty damn
clear already. I have had many clear wines from pulp fermentations and I
think it's because I never let anything hot or warm come in contact with the
fruit. I think this sort of strategy may pay off with your pears.

The honey itself can be a problem as mead always takes AGES to clear (2-3
years sometimes). Racking (or from bitter experience, bottling) something
that looks pretty clear already often makes it drop more sediment. After
racking place it somewhere cold, like a garage or shed to encourage the
drop. You can try fining with egg white for normal sediment collection
(works very well) but that won't get out a pectin haze - you'll need an
pectin destroying enzyme to do that (not very historic!).

Kirsty