hist-brewing: Need some ideas

DonTygerTy at aol.com DonTygerTy at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 08:26:03 PST 2000

In a message dated 01/27/2000 12:13:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
beorning at earthlink.net writes:

> Hello all,
>
>  I'm wondering if anyone has recipes for melomel that involve pears,
>  pineapple, or nectarines.....
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>  Stan

Here is a recipe that came out great.  My best batch yet, though I screwed up
on the making of it so I don't know if it can be duplicated yet if anyone
tries let me know.

Ingredients:

15lb Honey Orange Blossom
3Tbs Vanilla
2.5 oz Crystallized Ginger
5 Gal Water
6 1/2 lbs Pears
1 Camden tablet
1 energizer tablet
1 package of Champagne yeast

Heat Honey, Vanilla, Ginger & 1gal water to boil. Skim and cool.  Heat 1 gal
water and pears (diced) to boil then cool. Add all together with rest of
water, yeast, and both tablets into carboy (S.G. 1.1).  Wait 2 weeks. Remove
Pears & Ginger, Blend to a liquid add back into carboy. Wait 2 weeks.  Racked
and strained added 5 tsp Acid blend. Wait 5 weeks.  Racked (S.G. 1.0) and
added 1 Nutrient Tablet, 1 Energizer tablet & 1/2 package of champagne yeast
(w/ a just a little honey) (S.G. 1.01).  Wait 4 weeks.  Then Filtered with
Mini Bono filters.  1 course then 1 medium.  bottled and Drink. (S.G. 1.0)
Most of it went very quickly with a lot of complements  1 1/2 gal. I was able
to save and a year later was even better.

This recipe is screwed up but it worked.   I have to try to do it again.

Steven V. Koval