hist-brewing: water chemistry

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Tue Feb 1 11:40:26 PST 2000

Ooop... in my summary I forgot to include "presuming you have enough
calcium."  Calcium is important for malt enzymes, mash pH, yeast health,
yeast flocculation and oxalate formation (it has to do with permanent haze).

So, presuming you have enough (50ppm is great... I've gotten by with 35)
calcium, low sodium, low iron and reasonable carboante (like 100 or less)
you need only match sulphate and chloride and then adjust pH up with calcium
carbonate if it's too low, for most beers.  Very dark beers *will* need
carbonate and very pale beers will probably need either more calcium or
some acid (I prefer lactic).

Al.

Al Korzonas, Lockport, Illinois, USA
korz at brewinfo.org