hist-brewing: water chemistry - revisited

OxladeMac at aol.com OxladeMac at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 16:11:46 PST 2000

As a followup to my posts of a couple weeks back on water chemistry, I have
since obtained a different source of water, and figured out what I would have
to do to the water to get it to approximate the mineral content of water from
London.  One of the steps was to boil the water while airating it to
decompose the bicarbonate into calcium carbonate, which will precipitate out.
 I have done this.  It does indeed clump together.  It's suppose to fall to
the bottom.  Some of it does this - much of it is still suspended in
solution.  I did this yesterday morning.  It's been about 30 hours now.  How
long do I have to wait for it to clear?

Noonan's book said to cover it to keep CO2 from recombining with the water
and making the bicarbs redissolve.  I have done this too.  If I let it go too
long to precipitate out, I will be undoing all the work I have done so far.
Anyone else done this?  Do you have any tips?

would these be?  Would common grocery-store split peas be close?  If not,
what would?

Thanks

Ox