hist-brewing: Beer brewing c.1640 help needed please!

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Mon Jan 31 13:17:52 PST 2000

Hops were becoming common in England by this time, so any hopped ale without dark or crystal malts (or just a tad of dark malt to mimic the darker base  malt that was likley produced in period)should be a good recipe.  Try using the procedures found in Digby (1669), an ale recipe from that book can be found at http://realbeer.com/spencer/Digby-recipes/recipe-96-01-23.html.  A redaction of this recipe for a braggot is found at http://www.nwlink.com/~badger/braggot.html.

Nate  (Nathi)

>>> "Sarah Wakely" <sarahbrew at hotmail.com> 01/31 10:09 AM >>>
To all,
Can anyone help please? I need to make a batch of period beer for some very
thirsty English Civil War soldiers - I have recipes for medieval beer (ie
without hops) but not for this period (c.1640). I've got Gervase Markham's
'An English Housewife', but I wondered if there were any recipes on the net
that might give me more information and guidance.
Hoping someone can help!
Regards,
Sarah

owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com