hist-brewing: Need some ideas Bannana? High % alcolhol?

Jerry Harder mastergoodwine at alltel.net
Fri Jan 28 14:59:58 PST 2000

> ...p.s. It was bubbling like crazy 24 hours later and the banana was
> evident when I opened the yeast envelope.  This weekend ginger beer!

This comment intrigues me.  Does this yeast commonly produce a banana flavor?
If so under what conditions?

The Belgian yeast
fermented out well with a high % alcohol and likely would taste better
if more residual sugar remained.
Specifics:
OG:   1.100
FG: ~1.020

By my figures for these numbers would be about 10% alcohol and a residual sugar
of about 5 brix.  I would call this a sweet mead with low alcohol. ( Actually
exactly the combination I've been looking for. )  Since you added nutrient I
wouldn't expect a stuck ferment.  Have you used this yeast before and gotten
similar results?

 Gerald Goodwine