hist-brewing: RE: hist-brewing-digest V1 #515

George de Piro gdepiro at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 23 20:36:03 PST 2000

Hi all,

Just a quick note to announce the third annual

***BEST OF BROOKLYN HOMEBREW COMPETITION***

Of special interest to people on this list is our experimental
category, which encourages the entry of recreations of ancient
beer styles.

The *Malted Barley Appreciation Society* and *Brooklyn Brewery*
are once again joining forces to bring you one heck of a homebrew
contest! The event will be held on Sat., Feb. 26, 2000 at the
Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th Street in Brooklyn, NY).  Entries
must be received by Friday, Feb. 18.

Last year over 70 judges and stewards worked hard evaluating over
*400* entries, making it the largest homebrew contest ever held in NY state.
All of the volunteers went home with gifts to reward their
efforts, and over $2000 worth of prizes were awarded to the
brewers of winning beers!  The Best of Show prize this year is
a custom-made Brooklyn Brewery leather jacket (valued at $400!)

Aside from the standard BJCP categories, there is our unique "First
time entrants" category and Experimental category which encourages the
entry of historical recreations.

Check out our website at http://hbd.org/mbas/bob2000.html for details!

We need judges and stewards!!!  You can register electronically
at the above website or contact me for more info!  You must
register to judge or steward by Feb. 18.  Only evaluations by judges that
are active
in the Beer Judge Certification Program will be used to decide awards,
but apprentices are welcome to sit with the judges and learn beer
evaluation.
You will be notified of your category assignment the week prior to the
contest.

Good luck and have fun!

George de Piro

C.H. Evans Brewing Company