hist-brewing: Hydrometers / iodized salt

Jerry Harder mastergoodwine at alltel.net
Wed Jan 19 15:00:42 PST 2000

> Since I don't keep chickens, I'll stick to my glass hydrometer even for
> my historically-inspired brewing.

  I think you miss the point entirely.  No one is suggesting brewing on a regular
basis with eggs instead of hydrometers.  Historically honey was produced much
differently than it is today.  It varied in moisture content more than today.  The
egg thing gives us a chance to see with minimal error exactly what gravities they
were working with, and to what degree of precision they could achieve in the must
preparation.   We want to decipher it into terms of the hydrometer.

Master Goodwine