hist-brewing: Hydrometers / iodized salt

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 19 12:56:17 PST 2000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, William Arthur Millett wrote:

> gravities of honey and water solutions. In one instance he mentions "take
> two new-laid eggs (...) and put them whole into the bottom of your cleansed

Since I don't keep chickens, I'll stick to my glass hydrometer even for
my historically-inspired brewing.

> By the way - iodized salt is salt with a few ppm of sodium iodate (iodate is
> iodine in one of its higher oxidation states) added to prevent goiter

Sodium Iodate:  NaIO3
Also used is Sodium Iodide (NaI) and even Potassium Iodate (KIO3).  While
the iodates are strong oxidizers, in trace amounts they pose no harm to
humans nor microorganisms.

(If you add table salt to about 50ppm, for example, that would mean that
about 3-5 millionths of that 50ppm would be iodine salts.)