hist-brewing: hydrometers

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Mon Jan 17 01:11:54 PST 2000

Depends how fresh the egg is. As eggs age, the air cavity within gets bigger
and so the egg starts to float more. It's a way to judge whether an egg is
fresh, You put some salt ( a teaspoon I think ) in a glass of water and if
the egg floats, it's off.

So, only of use as a hyrdometer if you know when it was laid, which in past
times is probably not unreasonable. If you kept your own chickens, you would
know.

KP