hist-brewing: Water Chemistry

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Sat Jan 15 06:57:52 PST 2000

"Hiram Berry" <burningb at burningbridges.com> is way ahead of me on water
chemistry, and points out some errors in my posts:
>Jeff Renner <nerenner at umich.edu> wrote
>> You probably won't be able to completely duplicate the ions given for
>> London water because they don't balance.
>
>Are you sure? ...the London ...
>numbers provided _do_ balance.

Mea culpa.  I was remembering A.J. deLange's excellent posts on HomeBrew
Digest in which he pointed out that the numbers for most published waters
did not balance; I thought that was one of them.  I was far too casual in
my statement.

Then regarding my post of Ken Schwartz's suggestion for London water:

>Those amounts look way too large to me.

Again, I defer to your greater understanding.  You are probably right that
this refers to 5 gallons.

>(don't know if there is Ca in "canning salt"? Assume no-- is this just
>regular NaCl?)

The idea is that it is uniodized.  Some have suggested problems with
iodine; this may well be unwarranted.

Thanks for your critical eye and work on cranking out proper numbers.  I
really am glad that my water is pretty good for brewing as-is for dark
beers and boiled with gypsum or CaCl2  and decanted for pale ones.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu