hist-brewing: ergot, water (not ergot water)

John Purdy John_Purdy at Jabil.com
Fri Jan 14 11:37:03 PST 2000

Richard considers :

<<<But I am curious as to whether lysergic acid could have even withstood
the brewing process.>>>

I don't see why not.  We know that it survived the baking process which
occurs at a higher temperature.  In fact the werewolf show reiterated the
fact that baking temperatures were insufficient to even kill the ergot
itself.  So unless it undergoes some chemical process and changes or boils
out it would still be in there.  Personally, I doubt it would boil out.
Boiling is a process commonly used to extract these acids where naturally
occurring.  (Talking seeds again, or basically any psychotropic plant life.)

<<<It also seems to suggest a reason for drinking beer before major
battles>>>
Military tests???

<<<and this draws a parallel to the consumption of unleavened bread at the
last supper.>>>
Religious sacraments???

This is getting deep.
Mongo