hist-brewing: Water Chemistry

OxladeMac at aol.com OxladeMac at aol.com
Wed Jan 12 19:08:22 PST 2000

Are there any chemists or advanced brewers out there that could field a
question on water chemistry adjustment?  I'm trying to adjust my tap water to
more closely match London's supply for a recreation effort I'm about to
embark on.  My city's water supply is OK in most areas, but it seems to have
unusually high concentrations of sodium and cloride ions in it.

I've got Greg Noonan's book _Brewing_Lager_Beer_, and have read other stuff
on adjusting chemistry.  They all talk about how to make additions, and how
to precipitate out things like excessive CO3, but not how to get rid of
excess ions like Sodium and Cloride.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Hopefully, the columns in the e-mail stay in line so you can read the chart
below:
City            Ca++    CO3--   Cl- Mg++    Na+ SO4-    HardnessTDS
Pilsen          7       15      5   2       2       5       30      35
Munich          75      150     2   18      2       10      250     275
Vienna          200     120     12  60      8       125     750     850
Dortmund        225     180     60  40      60      120     750     1000
Dublin          120     125     20  5       12      55      300     350
Yorkshire       100     150     30  15      25      65      275     400
Edinburgh       120     225     65  25      55      140     350     650
Burton          275     260     35  40      25      450     1100    875
London          90      125     20  5       15      40      235     300
Stillwater, OK  75      40      296 64      279     116     140     456

pH of the city supply is also quite high - 8.25.

I obtained the ion concentrations for Stillwater from the chemistry lab at my
company.  I have several water analyses stretching from present back into the
late 80's.  The concentrations of various ions is relatively constant, so I'm
pretty sure that this isn't just a blip.

Thanks in advance for any help.  If any of you are going to be at Gulf Wars,
I'll give you a six pack for any help you can give me!

Ox