hist-brewing: phenolics and band-aids...

John Dooley isabella at eagnet.com
Tue Jan 11 18:45:18 PST 2000

You must be careful... do not boil the skins too long. Hell... I wouldn't
boil them at all. The best bet is to add sulfites to cut down on
contamination or even add the fruit when the base has already been
fermented. For instance: in a cider use the pressed juice to ferment a base
then after the first rack add the apples whole to add color, flavor and
acids. If you boil skins you will have a vinous taste with a harsh
aftertaste (*nasty stuff). In a wine , the alcohol content is so high
contamination is not a worry unless you actually try to contaminate the
wine. I have added all sorts of junk without boiling and it has come out
fine.
The same goes for mead.

Infection and contamination's to some degree are wanted. Yes they are. This
is why no one can reproduce a good batch. It is a house blend only able to
be made on site. A slight contamination will add uniqueness and character to
anything you do. The key is to know when is enough. If it is visible... TOO
MUCH!!! (unless you are making a lambic or something.) In a good Belgian
beer I always contaminate the batch under controlled levels to get a banana
taste with a mellow molasses aftertaste. There is a wide range of flavors in
a Belgian Abby that can not be reproduced with out contamination.

So in all... my advice... don't worry... enjoy..... be fairly clean but not
Howard Huges. RELAX EVERYONE!!!
~~~Ian the brewer