hist-brewing: phenolics and band-aids...

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Tue Jan 11 11:23:47 PST 2000

Master Goodwine writes:
>Now here is the important thing.
>PEEL THE PEACHES
>
>Elinaor back in 1609 said to, and I didn't because my mother processed them for
>me and froze them in order to transport them a five hour trip from Indiana to
>St. Louis where I lived at the time.  The skins add phenolics that give the
>wine
>a Band-Aid like flavor and smell.

While it is true that the Band-Aid flavour and smell is due to phenolic
compounds, I'm quite certain that the source of the aroma/flavour is NOT
the skins themselves.  I made a Porter with 12# of frozen peaches which I
simply dipped in boiling water for a second before cutting up with a sanitised
knife on a sanitised plate and then adding to some finished Porter.  There
wasn't any Band-Aid aroma or flavour.

Also, if phenolics from skins would give a phenolic aroma/flavour, then all
red wines would have one, no?  Then again, not all phenolics are the same.
Beer devoid of phenolic compounds would be very bland.  There are good ones
and bad ones.

My guess is that the Band-Aid aroma/flavour came from a wild yeast.  Unless
you took some steps to kill off or at least subdue the micriobiota on the
skins of the fruit, it's quite likely that yeast on the skins was the source
of your off aroma/flavour.

Al.

Al Korzonas, Lockport, Illinois, USA
korz at brewinfo.org