hist-brewing: Banana Rama

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Tue Jan 11 01:55:05 PST 2000

Bananas are the one fruit apart from grapes that have enough sugar on their
own to make wine with. I'd go for a mead or wine rather than a beer,
definitely. I'd be tempted to leave it quite sweet, though, which does mean
extra sugar/honey. I would say also don't put bananas in - they will make a
terrible mush and be difficult to rack. I recall seeing a recipe where you
boil them up them use just the 'stock' rather like you'd do with carrots or
parsnips.

I did some tropical fruit from an SG of 1.1 and got a final of 996, but it
tasted sweeter than that. Was pretty potent stuff as well...

KP