hist-brewing: Banana Rama

Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com
Mon Jan 10 10:02:00 PST 2000

Any good suggestions on what to do with 100 bananas I seem to have come into
possession of?  I made a sugar syrup, and soaked about 20 bananas (2 batches
of ten) cut into 1/4" slices, and am drying the slices.  The sugar syrup has a
remarkable banana taste now.  I was thinking of diluting it to 1.10 or so, and
fermenting it with an ale yeast.  Should I add more sliced bananas to the
fermenter?  Cooked or not?
Buhner has a banana "beer" recipe in his Sacred and Herbal beers book, but it
sounds a bit unplalatable.

Eric Fouch
PDT&L

"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."

- CHARLES DUELL, 1899-  Head of the Office of Patents