hist-brewing: grogg

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu Jan 6 19:33:46 PST 2000

In a message dated 01/06/2000 1:56:42 PM EST, judy at southeast.net writes:

>  What is Grogg (sp)?    I read it somewhere a long time ago but my memory
> fails me at this time.

    Grog is a mixture of dark rum (i.e. Pussers or Myers), water, and usually
citrus juice, rationed out to sailors in the British Navy during the
Napoleanic Wars.
It was a preventative for scurvy, the vitamin-C deficiency disease that was
the
bane of long sea voyages without fresh fruit.  It was called grog after "Old
Grogham", the nickname of the Royal Fleet Surgeon (?) who introduced it, and
who was known for his grogham fabric boat cloak.
    Scotti