hist-brewing: Lactose in mead?

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Tue Jul 18 12:14:54 PDT 2000

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Chris Peters wrote:
> Actually the lactose used in most stouts is for a creamier head. I don't believe it will work in a meade. It will probably turn out cloudy. Give it a try and tell us
> what happens! (may try this myself, my curiosity is aroused!)

Not only does this make a creamier head, but it softens any harsh/bitter
taste. This softening is most pleasing in cordials.  A few months back, I
made a peaches and milk cordial and posted the method on my web site:
www.nmia.com/~ariann/cordials.htm

For a mead, it would be interesting to ferment your mead, and then,
filter into gallon containers.  Add milk/cream (I use Milk/cream : brandy
as 1:1) and shake daily for one month.  Filter, bottle and enjoy.

Cordials become slightly sweeter, with less of an alcoholic bite.  It
would be interesting to see if milk/cream would create a sweeter, less
harsh mead.  I also wonder if the addition of cream would reduce the
aging time for a palatable product?  Any other speculation?

Will there be a tasting party?  (I'll bring my cordials!)

Ariann