Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Fri Dec 31 06:23:57 PST 1999

Dan McFeeley <mcfeeley at keynet.net> wrote:

>On Thursday, 12/30/99 -0800, Jeff Renner wrote:
>
>>I don't know whether or not marsh rosemary is the same as bog rosemary,
<snip>
>I don't think they're the same -- Marsh rosemary is otherwise known as
>ledum palustre, although it is a member of the Ericaceae family.  According
>to Buhner, it grows in swamps and wet places in Northern Europe, Asia, and
>America.  It is similar to Labrador tea, or Ledum glandulosum, although
>marsh rosemary is supposed to be more potent. <snip>

Thanks for that clarification.  It does raise another question.  My copy of
Gleason and Cronquist's _Manual of Vascular Plants of Northeastern United
States and Adjacent Canada_ (1963) lists only one member of the genus
_Ledum_, Labrador Tea, for which it has the name of _L groenlandicum_
Oeder.  Evidently found first in Greenland, judging by the specific
epithet.  Of course, nomenclature is in a constant state of flux, but this
source, at least, does not suggest marsh rosemary is found in the NE US.

Guess I'll continue to stick to hops or no hops, but it would have been
interesting to have tried a gruit in my 50% malted oats, unhopped Domesday
Ale.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu