hist-brewing: Gruit Ingredients

Dan McFeeley mcfeeley at keynet.net
Thu Dec 30 10:23:18 PST 1999

On Thursday, 12/30/99 -0800, Jeff Renner wrote:

>I don't know whether or not marsh rosemary is the same as bog rosemary,
>_Andromeda glaucophylla_ Link. (a member of the Ericaceae, or heath family,
>along with Rhododendrons, blueberries, wintergreen, cranberry and other
>neat plants).  This grows in northern N. American acid bogs.  It's a low
>(18") evergreen shrub and shouldn't be a problem to find if it is the same.
>Stay out of protected bogs, though, and only pick a few branches from well
>established populations.

I don't think they're the same -- Marsh rosemary is otherwise known as
ledum palustre, although it is a member of the Ericaceae family.  According
to Buhner, it grows in swamps and wet places in Northern Europe, Asia, and
America.  It is similar to Labrador tea, or Ledum glandulosum, although
marsh rosemary is supposed to be more potent.  The ledums are described
as low growing bushes or shrubs, sometimes growing to six feet in height.
The leaves are long and elliptical and have white feltlike hairs on the
underside.  The leaves may curl along the margins and are a bright
evergreen color, the lower leaves can be a brownish color.  The ledums
are found in wet places such as the mountains from British Columbia
to the Sierra Nevadas in California, also in northeastern Oregon, central
Idaho, and northwestern Wyoming.  High doses of the herb can cause
severe headache, restlessness, vertigo, or cramps.  Other sources note
frenzy and rage, intoxication, and a potentiation of the effects of
alcohol.

Dan McFeeley
mcfeeley at keynet.net