hist-brewing: Gruit Ingredients

Dan McFeeley mcfeeley at keynet.net
Tue Dec 28 10:30:40 PST 1999

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999  "Richard" <Richard at WowMe.com> wrote:

>OK, did we ever come up with a DEFINITIVE source for the ingredients for
>Gruit.  I'm speaking mainly about the Myricia Gale, Marsh Rosemary and
>Yarrow.  I really want to start brewing this, but I have personally
>written email to every herb place I can find on the web and have still
>been unable to locate these ingredients in bulk.  I know a few people
>claimed to have found a source for these, but they never posted that
>source, so please help out and post the sources so I can get to brewing.
> ;)  It would be so deeply appreciated!

Stephen Buhner writes about gruit in his book _Sacred and Herbal Healing
Beers_.  He says that gruit was primarily a combination of Myricia Gale,
Marsh Rosemary and Yarrow, but with additional herbs added which were
kept secret by the gruit maker.  I've wondered about this -- can anyone
else verify that these three herbs were used for a base in gruit making
as commonly as Buhner says?

Buhner lists Trinity Herbs, P.O. Box 1001, Graton, CA 95444 (1-707-824-2040)
as a sources for most of the recipes in the book.  He says that he has
been unable to find a source for Marsh Rosemary.  He also lists Horizon
Herbs, P.O. Box 69, Williams OR 97544, 1-541-846-6704 as carrying a
variety of herb seeds.

Hope this is helpful!

Dan McFeeley
mcfeeley at keynet.net