hist-brewing: poisonous brewing practices

ulfin at mail.portup.com ulfin at mail.portup.com
Sun Dec 19 08:49:22 PST 1999

David McCarty <raille at mich.com> writes:

>Well this is reported to be true, I find the reasons invalid.  Wormwood
>contains about 90 Thujone, yet common Sage contains 60% thujone in its
>essential oils and no one has every restricted its use.

Are you sure that's sage (the herb you cook with) and not sagebrush
(which is also usually referred to simply as "sage" [the stuff Indians
burn at pow-wows])?  Sagebrush *is* a wormwood (as is mugwort and all
the others in the artemisia genus), it's just not the variety used for
making absinthe.

Dan Butler-Ehle