hist-brewing: Aging of Distilled Spirits

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu Dec 16 07:44:31 PST 1999

Thanks to "William A. Millett" <wmillett at fractal.com.br> for posting the EB
article.  However:

>New charred, white-oak containers are
>required by law in the United States for the maturation of products to be
>called straight bourbon or rye whiskey.

According to my information (the Regans' and Murray's books), the law
merely specifies "oak," although red oak is apparently terrible as it leaks.

>From Regan & Regan, _The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys_,
p. 220, "Although the regulations specify oak containers to be used to age
whiskey, the individual distiller is free to use whatever type of oak he
desires.  American distillers, however,  always use the American white oak
variety ..."

Just goes to show why I chose my sig line.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu