hist-brewing: Apple cider

Kirsty kpollock at netcomuk.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 09:38:34 PST 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: DEPiLLsb42 at aol.com <DEPiLLsb42 at aol.com>
To: hist-brewing at pbm.com <hist-brewing at pbm.com>
Date: 03 December 1999 18:55
Subject: RE: hist-brewing: Apple cider

>Kirsty wrote:
><I'm interested in the comment s about sugar in connection with
cidermaking -
> virtually all the recipies I have ever seen include sugar and/or honey,
and
> iI would still consider them to be cider. I suppose since apples don't
have
> enough sugar in them to produce anything of any great strength (only
grapes
> and bananas do that) that these inclusions are designed to boost the
alcohol
> content. What's the typical final percentage of an all-apple brew???>
>
>That's odd. Most of the recipes I've read for apple cider involve just
letting the fresh cider sit, not even introducing yeast. Specifically, I'm
thinking of "Stocking Up," a very good book on preserving food in various
ways. It says the alcohol content will be 2-3%.

>Salut!

having spoken to my Somerset source, real  cider is made with dinky horrible
(eating wise) apples and no extra suger. if you want it stronger, you
distill it :-).

I didn't ask about the yeast, but as i understand (from my wine studies)
there is only one out of many native British yeasts which is 'well behaved'
in brewing terms. hence my uncertianty on making any fully authentic
brews....