hist-brewing: poisonous brewing practices

Patrick Bureau patricdlc at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 05:52:39 PST 1999

here is some information I have found about Wormwood.

Wormwood, Artemisia Absinthium. L Compsitae. (B&B 3:325)

Wormwood was used formerly as a bitter stomatic, expecialy in France; it was
use to make the licoricee-flavored liquer Absinthe.

Wormwood contains Thujone which can can cause brain damage; it is addictive,
with habitual use also causing vomiting, tremors, vertigo,hallucinations,
violent behavior, and convulsions.

Absinthe was deemed responsible for many deaths and has been banned in
several countries since the turn of the century. A wormwood free version of
absinthe, called pastis, is now popular in France.

This was taken from a Sip through time by  Cindy Renfrow.

Thought she produced many recipes containing Wormwood, she has many warnings
about the potential dangers of using it in any type brew.

Wormwood CAN be found and purchased in the USA in many states, in health
store in a dry form.

I personally beleive that each and every brewer should be very carefull in
researching wormwood prior to using it, and if you do use it, to LET anyone
tatsing your brew aware of you ingredients.

Patric de Long Coeur
Mead Brewer.