hist-brewing: Medieval brewing

Sarah Wakely sarahbrew at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 9 02:37:36 PST 1999

Thanks to everyone who provided advice about my original medieval brewing
query - I feel a lot more confident about brewing authentically now.
However, there's one more thing I'm not really sure about - yeast! I read
somewhere that medieval brewers 'shared' their yeasts when they were done
with them - how did this work? Does fermentation occur naturally if the ale
is left alone? Is using a modern yeast authentic?
Sorry about the basic nature of these questions – it's just I'm really new
to this and still a bit confused...
Regards to you all,
Sarah