hist-brewing: Apple Cider

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 8 09:03:30 PST 1999

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Richard wrote:

> intestinal distress.  As an adult I can't drink hard alcohol because I get
> the same distress and sometimes just as severe.  I wonder if that is
> because there is Propanol present in some forms of hard alcohol.  Could

It could also be because you are generally sensitive to alcohols.  Beer
or wine could be low enough concentration to not hit your threshold.  Our
immune system is quite an odd beast (says the guy working in a vaccine
lab).  Things that we don't think could ever be immunogenic turn out to
be quite powerfully so.  Likewise, contrariwise.  You could have primed a
low-level allergic reaction localized to your Pyers patches (so to speak)
back when you were little.