SV: SV: hist-brewing: Re: casks

Brokk H940114 at stud.kol.su.se
Wed Dec 8 05:21:27 PST 1999

	why the concern over methyl alcohol aka methanol in this case ?
	IIRC there's no methanol present in wood.  It can be produced,
however, from anaerobic heating of wood.
	(The exact same process that makes charcoal)  I don't think that
process is involed here, the charring that's done
	to the barrels would not produce any methanol or if any is produced,
evaporate it.
	As for the levels of toxins in distilled spirits matured in oak
casks i read quite an interesting article a few years ago.
	It concluded that from one glass of whisky, 6:cl IIRC, you'd get the
same amount of PAH:s and other carcinogen compounds
	as from a breakfast toast, and the toast wasn't burned beyond
recognition either, far from it.
	Sadly enough I can't recall the name of the article or the source.

	Angus.