SV: hist-brewing: Re: casks

Jerry J Harder mastergoodwine at juno.com
Tue Dec 7 18:07:45 PST 1999

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999 14:18:57 +0100  Brokk <H940114 at stud.kol.su.se> writes:

>What's considered to be toxins in this case ?
>Angus,who hears Paracelsus old words ringing in his head.

I believe wood alcohol and other stuff,  I am not an expert on
distilation.  Most of my information comes through the vinue of WINE
barrels and how they are different from wisky/ berbon barrels.  I also
think some of the problems arrise in any form of distillation which
concentrates these other posions along with the alcohol.  Activated
charcol takes some of them out.

>> The charring on the outside filters and absorbs toxin.  The color
>and
>> flavors come from the deeper layers.
>>
>> Master Gerald Goodwine

>hist-brewing-digest, if
>you get the digest.) To contact a human about problems, send mail to
>owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com

Master Gerald Goodwine