hist-brewing: Hops

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 11:35:46 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/07/1999 4:21:42 AM EST, kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com writes:

> Again, possibly a repetition, but I thought 'brewer's droop' referred to the
>  effect of too much alcohol on a man's ability to gain and maintain
erection.

    Shakespeare says, in the Devil Porter scene (Act II, scene III) from
MacBeth, "Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire,
but it takes away the performance.  Therefore, much drink may be said to be
an equivocator with lechery; it makes him and it mars him; it sets him on and
it takes him off; it persuades him and disheartens him; makes him stand to,
and not stand to; in conclusion, equivocates him in a sleep, and giving him
the lie, leaves him."
    Scotti