hist-brewing: Judy's question

-Tevildo. tevildo at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:29:30 PST 1999

>From: "judy" <judy at southeast.net>
>Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:11:33 -0500
>Subject: Re: hist-brewing: Federal on Wine

><<snip>>  Now I bet if there was a bit of
>barley in with the honey  they could get away with it.  Also there is a
>barley wine.   Is that a Beer or a Wine and Why.
>Judy

This question is made complex by the fact that there are two very different
Barley Wines. One is really a wine, and usually includes some form of grape
(raisins, concentrate, etc.). The other (far more common) type is definitely
a beer but is called "barley wine" because it's relatively high in
alcohol--in the normal wine range.

The Digests are coming out fst and furious now, aren't they?

Has anyone found a decent use for that nasty Malta stuff? It seems to be
just normal beer ingredients, mixed in God-awful proportions and not
fermented. I know some people use it in a modern version of Chicha (a Native
American corn beer) but beyond that...
                   -Tevildo.