Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Tue Dec 7 06:08:30 PST 1999

Scotti  PBLoomis at aol.com wrote:

>    Okay, tell us how you do it.  None of the three hopless ales I have
>attempted has been acceptable.  They all started out sour and got more so in
>short order.

My unhopped Domesday Ale, 50% home malted oats, OG 1096, FG 1032, brewed
October 98 and bottled  without priming February 99 remains unsour.  Likely
it's the alcohol.

It is awfully sweet, though.  Some sourness would be welcome.  Reminds me a
bit of Sam Adams Triple Bock.  Kind of like alcoholic prune juice.  Well,
better than that.  I'm hoping it will age like a fortified wine - sherry or
port, and gain some complexity.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu