Stephen Bernard flatlander at gis.net
Mon Dec 6 21:09:43 PST 1999

ALBATRS890 at aol.com wrote:

> I just found a reference that states that, Hops were introduced by the Roman
> Legions. The legionneers used it as a spice. I am trying to confirm this by
> finding another source. What have you found on this.
> Frank

hops were used as a table spice even in egypttian times (added at time of
drinking) but there use in brewing is not (to my knolage) common until at least
the 7th century starting in central europe and spreding from there.

the vile and pernichous weed found its way to england much later being brought
by dutch prodistent imigrants escaping catholic persicutation.  but the english
were slow to adopt their use,

Rev. Steve