hist-brewing: Medieval brewing assistance needed!

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 6 11:36:42 PST 1999

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Richard wrote:

> There is some evidence to suggest that hops were not introduced until
> the late 15th early 16th century and that they were an invention of the
> protestant church to cause "calming".  <looking around> Hops *may* (OK,

Highly doubtful, given what I've read.  That may be when they got to
England, but they were used on the Continent before that.

> you all noticed I used the word MAY!) cause drowsiness and impotence, so
> it is believed this fit the protestant agenda of the time, whereas gruit

Methinks more can be attributed to alcohol than to hops in those areas.
Indeed, drowsiness is a known symptom of alcohol intoxication, as can be
impotence.

In any case I seem to have noticed no effects due to increased hop usage
in my brews over the apparent commercial offerings.