hist-brewing: Apple cider

Shroom shroom at theriver.com
Mon Dec 6 10:22:50 PST 1999

The basic recipe for an apple cider is simple, like any other fruit mead: fruit,
honey, water, yeast.  The key in the case of apple cider is in the choice of
apples, and to some degree choice of honey.

If you are in an apple-growing region, go to a grower and get fresh squeezed,
unpasteurized, unfiltered juice from Gala, Jonagold, or Golden Delicous apples.
A medium dark honey of medium to low sweetness (ie, not orange or clover honey,
a generic flower honey serves best) complements the apple flavor without
overpowering.

My recipe is regionally dependent for Arizona. It imitates a hard cider from
Normandy (France)

Sparkling Hard Apple Cider

(5 gal yield)
10 lbs desert wildflower honey
3 gals unfiltered (fresh pressed) apple juice from local grower
water to fill
1 pouch Wyeast sweet mead liquid yeast

Boil and clarify honey water about 10 minutes
Put into primary fermenter, let cool
Add apple juice (room temperature) and yeast.

Primary ferment until bubbling is almost nonexistent (but not completely
stopped), usually 6 weeks.
Transfer to champagne bottles (or other high-pressure safe bottles), re-prime
with 1/2 tsp corn sugar for a 750ml bottle. (warning: too much corn sugar will
cause explosion, so be conservative)

OK starting at 9 months, just keeps getting better with time. I didn't think it
could get any better after the 2 year mark, but it has - the overpowering honey
sweetness is gone, the apple solids have settled to the bottom, leaving a clean
apple wash overlaid with a touch of honey, dry but sweet (sorry, makes no sense
I know, it's too complex a flavor for me to describe). I've been told by many
who drink it that I should bottle this commercially, as it beats all of the
commercial ciders available. I don't know.