hist-brewing: Medieval brewing assistance needed!

Ralph Barker SquireAle at zianet.com
Mon Dec 6 07:18:46 PST 1999

Okay folks, time for me to get on my soap box. Here is a classic case of
mis-information and that is one of my main crusades to correct.
 Would love to see where you got your info on this one. Would probably come
as a shock to the German Monks and brewers in the 10th century that were
using hops.
 It is somewhat true (although disputed by some scholars) that the English
didn't use hops commercially until the 15th and 16th century. But they were
just stubborn. And in all actuality it had nothing to do with the Protestant
Church. It was that the English brewers (in their infinite wisdom) did not
see the need to change.
And the evidence you point out that hops " May" cause lower labido levels is
purely speculative and in heavy dispute.
 If you do have evidence that hops were not used in brewing until the later
periods, and that all previous research and documentation is thereby
fraudulent, please let me know. I will let the museums and brewing museums
in Germany, Belgium, & holland that I saw the original records/reciepes at
know they should disregard these artifacts as forgeries. Perhaps you meant
to say in English commercial breweries Hops were not used until the 15th
centuries which would be factual :)

Ralph