hist-brewing: Medieval brewing assistance needed!

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Dec 6 06:30:49 PST 1999

Richard (Richard at WowMe.com) said something that sounded like:
> 1) Don't use hops!
> <ducking>
> There is some evidence to suggest that hops were not introduced until
> the late 15th early 16th century and that they were an invention of the
> protestant church to cause "calming".

There is also evidence that it was used a couple hundred years earlier
than that. I have at least one reference, if not more, at home that
indicate hops was used in brewing of beers earlier than that. Even if that
was not the case, the simple fact that there was legislature *against*
using hops in beer/ale, indicates that they were.

Unfortunately I don't have any of my brewing references at work to cite
from. One such book, if I am remembering right, is "Anglo-Saxon Food and
Drink".

This is not to discourage people from using gruits though!!! As well, it
is not to allow those SCA people among us to justify all styles of beer
just because hops did exist.

Ciao,