hist-brewing: Medieval brewing assistance needed!

Richard Richard at WowMe.com
Sun Dec 5 21:27:42 PST 1999

I'm gonna get shot for this, but here goes:
1) Don't use hops!
<ducking>
There is some evidence to suggest that hops were not introduced until the late 15th early 16th century and that they were an invention of the protestant church to cause "calming".  <looking around>  Hops *may* (OK, you all noticed I used the word MAY!) cause drowsiness and impotence, so it is believed this fit the protestant agenda of the time, whereas gruit ingredients and other historical ingredients may have led to hyperactivity and sexual upheaval. <laying really low>.

Here are the substitutions for Hops in Gruit ale:

Myrica Gale
Also known as:
    Sweet Gale
    Bayberry
    English Bog Myrtle
    Dutch Myrtle
    Herba Myrti Rabanitini
    Gale palustris (Chevalier)

Marsh Rosemary
Also known as:
    Marsh Tes
    Marsh Cistsu
    Wild Rosemary
    Wild Rosmarin
    Rosamrinus Sylvestris
    Porsch
    Sumpfporsch
    The Finne
    Ledum palustre

Yarrow

Also horehound is a good substitute for hops, as well as several other herbs.  The ingredients for Gruit ale may be difficult to find, but if you do locate them, please be sure to tell all of us where you got them as there are a number of people on this list trying to locate them.  Perhaps my posting their a.k.a.'s will be of assistance to you or someone else.  If so, please tell us where you got 'em.

Richard