hist-brewing: Federal on Wine

David McCarty raille at mich.com
Sun Dec 5 04:27:55 PST 1999

I read in a brewing publication that the original law concerning cider
production came out of the prohibition era.  Cider making was very strong
at that time and it was excempt from the prohibition laws.

Later after prohibition ended the laws were amended, but only at the
federal level, which meant that it was still illegal in most states to make
beer.

Jimmy carter changed that in the 70's and what I read was that cider could
be produced without regards to an age limit for consumption at your home etc.

What I'd like to know is if this is still current, and if not, when did
that law get changed.

Since this is the historical list, some body here should know. :)

Dave M.