hist-brewing: Apple Cider

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Fri Dec 3 12:58:09 PST 1999

Well, the English method to 'boost' cider strength was to let it
partially freeze, and pour off the liquid as apple-jack.  This
is called 'freeze distilling' since it concentrates the alcohol
by taking advantage of the difference in freezing points between
ethanol and water.  I've had some home-made 'jack that was probably
over 20% alcohol.
         -----wade