hist-brewing: chocolate

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Fri Dec 3 08:51:19 PST 1999

I'm pretty far behind, but this looked intriguing..

Most "chocolate" stouts don't have any real chocolate in them at all,
just chocolate notes from the roasted grains.  If you really want to
add chocolate, I'd use the powdered cocoa for just the reason given.
The cocoabutter/oils in bakers choc. will definately hurt your head
retention in the final product.  Oils will lower the surface tension, and
so you'll get very little in the way of foam, or head, on the beer when
it's served.  Hope this helps - btw, what are you going to use for the
Orange?
         -----Wade Hutchison