hist-brewing: Apple cider

DEPiLLsb42 at aol.com DEPiLLsb42 at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 08:45:18 PST 1999

Kirsty wrote:
<I'm interested in the comment s about sugar in connection with cidermaking -
 virtually all the recipies I have ever seen include sugar and/or honey, and
 iI would still consider them to be cider. I suppose since apples don't have
 enough sugar in them to produce anything of any great strength (only grapes
 and bananas do that) that these inclusions are designed to boost the alcohol
 content. What's the typical final percentage of an all-apple brew???>

That's odd. Most of the recipes I've read for apple cider involve just letting the fresh cider sit, not even introducing yeast. Specifically, I'm thinking of "Stocking Up," a very good book on preserving food in various ways. It says the alcohol content will be 2-3%.

Salut!
Dawn