hist-brewing: Apple cider

DEPiLLsb42 at aol.com DEPiLLsb42 at aol.com
Thu Dec 2 08:57:54 PST 1999

I've had an interesting experience with the apple-ginger beer from Patricia Telasco's "Victorian Grimoire." I let a nearly full bottle of it sit in the garage (okay, I forgot about it under a pile of newspapers) for about eight months. When I found the bottle, I assumed it had gone bad. But when I went to salvage the bottle, I discovered the resulting beverage was very clear, semi-dry and tasty. It had lost the harsh edge that beer has when young (i.e. when it's supposed to be drunk -- within a month). I have since replicated my inital accident and find it works pretty consistantly. It's not exactly cider since you do put sugar and yeast in the apple juice, but it is mightily tasty.

My two pence,
Dawn