hist-brewing: Apple cider

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 19:39:06 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/1/1999 4:08:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mactarbh at hotmail.com writes:

> I now turn to the list for information on brewing a good
>  sweet apple cider.

How I brew hard cider.

1. I visit Skytop Orchard, a reputable producer, and buy a gallon or two of
sweet cider. They use picked apples rather than windfall and they remember to
wash their hands. This avoids most of the chances for E.Coli contamination.

2. I put the still sealed jugs of cider in the kitchen, but NOT in the
refrigerator After a couple of days the jugs swell with accumulated CO2....
this indicates the wild yeasts are doing their wonderful work.

3. I put the jug in the refrigerator now, and wait about a week, venting
occasionally by unscrewing the cap a bit and letting gas escape. Sometimes I
squeeze the jug a bit and then seal it again.

4. I drink the hard cider in the course of the next month. It tends to get a
bit vinegary towards the end. Usually I end up putting the last of it into my
vinegar jug and adding some unpasturized apple cider vinegar to get a good
mother started.

Certainly most of this flies in the face of conventional wisdom. I'm
extraordinarily lucky to have a good orchard nearby. I certainly take
advantage of it too.

Corwyn