hist-brewing: Gruit Ale

Donald Beistle dbeistle at arches.uga.edu
Tue Nov 30 10:30:55 PST 1999

Myrica Gale is available in many US homebrew shops and should be available
anywhere via special order from Steinbart (a wholesaler based in Oregon)
under the "Brewer's Garden" label. Dried yarrow (a.k.a. milfoil) is
available in natural food stores and herb shops, though it isn't at all
hard to cultivate for yourself and live plants may be purchased at pretty
much any garden shop or even K-Mart during the growing season. I really
don't know anything about marsh rosemary and can't recall ever seeing
it offered for sale anywhere.

Also, if you are brewing your gruit ale according to the recipe given in
the Durden Park Brewing Circle book, keep in mind that most if not all of
the herbs used in gruit ales were mashed with the grains rather than
boiled with the wort.

Waes hael!

Donald Beistle
Athens, Georgia