hist-brewing: Critters in spring water -- Not Quite OT

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 03:54:16 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/28/1999 4:29:46 PM EST, Richard at WowMe.com writes:

<<  Two things grew.  One was a slightly cute bacteria that sort of pushed it
self in spurts through the water.  (These were the reason I didn't dump the
water.  I figured they were interesting enough.  >>

    Bacteria are generally too small to be seen by the naked eye.  Probably
what
you had were ostracodes, a very old order of crustaceans dating back half a
billion years.  They are found in most surface waters.  They generally range
from half a millimeter to a millimeter in length, and resembling a shrimp
inside a clamshell.  I had to dissect some in my Micropaleontolgy class in
graduate school.  It's done under a binocular microscope, in a mixture of
glycerin and ethanol, using specially made dissecting needles.
    If you're going to buy spring water, as I do, make sure it says Artesian
Spring water to avoid microcritters.
    Scotti